Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the holidays are upon us once again in Hanover Park, IL. If you search hard enough, you can smell the turkey and pie that's around the corner. This is such a festive time of year, and while it can be hectic, the opportunity to make time for your loved ones is unbeatable. The first thing you should think about, though, is your car. Is it ready to take on the roads?
Considering the millions of cars, SUVs, and trucks in the US out on the roads at once, you have to be extra careful. The top three reasons automotive mishaps to be expected for holiday travels are flat tires, battery-related problems, and lockouts, all of which are preventable. This is why you need to prepare!
How to Get Your Vehicle Road-Trip Ready
- Examine your tires. The tire pressure should be at the right level, and if they are showing signs of wear and tear, you may want to consider replacing them.
- Check all your fluid levels, including engine oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, engine coolant, etc. Sometimes, it's better to be safe by just getting an oil change before you leave.
- Make sure your windshield wipers are in excellent condition as bad weather can sneak up on you anytime during your journey.
- Perform a battery test. If you feel that your battery is slow at cranking, it is probably best to replace it.
- Make sure you pack a first aid kit and emergency kit. Please include the following basic items: road flares, oil, fuses, a flashlight, a multipurpose tool, wire cutters, a knife, screwdriver, a tire inflator, spare, etc.
- Have a professional inspect your brake and suspension parts/
- Change the air filter if you haven't done it in a while.
To ensure your vehicle is on track to travel the long distance safely, you must do preventative maintenance. Our team at Kamphaus Auto Care can help keep your holidays from becoming a nightmare if you come in for a pre-trip inspection. Feel free to give us a call or schedule an appointment with us online today!